About Union Public Service Commission (UPSC):
The UPSC is an independent central government agency responsible for recruitment to select the best individuals to work as officers in various wings of the government.
About Civil Services Examination (CSE):
The Civil Services Examination is an All India Competitive Examination conducted by the Union Public Service Commission for recruiting IAS, IFS, IPS, IRS (Income Tax & Customs) and other central service officers. The examination consists of three stages - Preliminary Examination, Mains Examination and Interview.
The Preliminary Examination is, generally, held in June and the Main Examination in the month of September/October of every year. The interview is held in the month of April and Final results are published in the month of May every year.
|S.No||List of Civil Services|
|1||Indian Administrative Service|
|2||Indian Foreign Service.|
|3||Indian Police Service.|
|4||Indian P & T Accounts & Finance Service, Group 'A'|
|5||Indian Audit and Accounts Service, Group 'A'|
|6||Indian Revenue Service (Customs and Central Excise) Group 'A'|
|7||Indian Defence Accounts Service, Group 'A'|
|8||Indian Revenue Service (I.T.), Group 'A'|
|9||Indian Ordnance Factories Service, Group 'A' (Assistant Works Manager, Administration)|
|10||Indian Postal Service, Group 'A'|
|11||Indian Civil Accounts Service, Group 'A'|
|12||Indian Railway Traffic Service, Group 'A'|
|13||Indian Railway Accounts Service, Group 'A'|
|14||Indian Railway Personnel Service, Group 'A'|
|15||Post of Assistant Security Commissioner in Railway Protection Force, Group 'A'|
|16||Indian Defence Estates Service, Group 'A'|
|17||Indian Information Service (Junior Grade), Group 'A'|
|18||Indian Trade Service, Group 'A' (GR.III)|
|19||Indian Corporate Law Service, Group 'A'|
|20||Armed Forces Headquarters Civil Service, Group 'B' (Section Officer's Grade)|
|21||Delhi, Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep, Daman & Diu and Dadra & Nagar Haveli Civil Service, Group 'B'|
|22||Delhi, Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep, Daman & Diu and Dadra & Nagar Haveli Police Service, Group 'B'|
|23||Pondicherry Civil Service, Group 'B'|
|24||Pondicherry Police Service, Group 'B'|
To apply for UPSC-CSE, the academic qualification details are listed below
- Must be a graduate (or)
- Undergraduate in last year, last semester can apply (or)
- American degrees valid but have to get equivalent certificate from AIU (or)
- Distance education degree valid- IF recognized by UGC/AICTE/any Law (or)
- MBBS must have completed internship before UPSC Interview-stage.
(a) A candidate must have attained the age of 21 years and must not have attained the age of 32 years
(b) The upper age-limit prescribed above will be relaxable
- Up to a maximum of five years if a candidate belongs to a Scheduled Caste or a Scheduled Tribe;
- Up to a maximum of three years in the case of candidates belonging to Other Backward Classes who are eligible to avail of reservation applicable to such candidates;
- Up to a maximum of three years in the case of Defence Services Personnel, disabled in operations during hostilities with any foreign country or in a disturbed area and released as a consequence thereof;
- Up to a maximum of five years in the case of ex-servicemen including Commissioned Officers and ECOs/SSCOs who have rendered at least five years Military Service
- Up to a maximum of 10 years in the case of (a) blindness and low vision; (b) deaf and hard of hearing; (c) locomotor disability including cerebral palsy, leprosy cured, dwarfism, acid attack victims and muscular dystrophy; (d) autism, intellectual disability, specific learning disability and mental illness; and (e) multiple disabilities from amongst persons under clauses (a) to (d) including deaf-blindness.
Number of attempt:
- General Category: 6 attempts
- OBC: 9 attempts
- SC/ST: unlimited attempts.
Physically Handicapped /disabled candidates belonging to General category will get the benefit of 9 attempts.
Stage – 1: Preliminary Examination
- The examination comprise of two compulsory papers of 200 marks each. It is of objective type (multiple choice questions). This examination is meant to serve as a screening test only; the marks obtained in the Preliminary Examination by the candidates, who are declared qualified for admission to the Main Examination, will not be counted for determining their final order of merit.
- The question papers will be set both in Hindi and English.
- Paper-II of the Civil Services (Preliminary) Examination will be a qualifying paper with minimum qualifying marks fixed at 33%
- Each paper will be of two hours duration.
- There will be negative marking(1/3) for incorrect answers.
- It is mandatory for the candidate to appear in both the Papers of Civil Services (Prelim) Examination for the purpose of evaluation. Therefore a candidate will be disqualified in case he/she does not appear in both the papers of Civil Services (Prelim) Examination.
Stage – 2: Main Examination
The written examination will consist of 9 Papers of conventional Essay Type
- Paper on Indian languages – 300 marks (qualifying paper)
- English – 300 marks (qualifying paper)
- Essay – 250 marks (Paper - I)
- General Studies I – 250 marks (Paper - II)
- General Studies II – 250 marks (Paper -III)
- General Studies III – 250 marks (Paper - IV)
- General Studies IV – 250 marks (Paper - V)
- Optional subject I – 250 marks (Paper - VI)
- Optional subject II – 250 marks (Paper - VII)
Stage – 3: Interview
The number of Candidates to be summoned for interview will be about twice the number of vacancies to be filled. The interview will carry 275 marks.
Why join Vetrii?
- Vetrii is a committed team of faculty who have been involved in civil service preparation for the past Eight years and have been instrumental in the success of many candidates.
- Number one institute in terms of core team of committed and experienced faculty.
- Clear success mantra & a focused mission with effective study practices.
- Quality & timely coverage of entire syllabus.
- Regular and highly successful test series programme for both Prelims and Main Exams.
- Effective and precious routine Answer Writing Program.
- Our specialized UPSC Interview Panel Comprises of both Retired and Serving IAS, IPS, IFS, IRS & Vice chancellors of various Universities.
- Air conditioned class rooms facilitated with state-of-the-art infrastructure.
UPSC Faculty Team
He is the Founder and Director of Vetrii IAS Study Circle who has rich experience in the field of Civil Services preparation for the past 16 years. He has appeared in 4 Main Examinations and had reached till the level of interview. His optional was Geography. Being very clear and strong in the fundamentals of geography, his classes will enable even the beginner to get a strong foundation in the subject. Under his guidance and direction more than 50 candidates have cleared the Civil Services Examination and got service successfully. He is the Editor of ‘Vetrii’s Current Affairs’, a monthy e-magazine for IAS Aspirants.
– Mr. M. ShunmugamFounder & Director
He had done M.A in Political Science and had the same subject as optional in Civil Services Examination. He has appeared four times for Mains and has the experience of teaching for 8 years. Handling Indian Polity, Internal Security and Bilateral part of International Relations at Vetrii IAS, he has guided and groomed several students into Civil Services Examination. He is the Honorary Editor of ‘India’s Internal Security’ a Book for IAS Aspirants.
– Mr. S.P. RajkumarSenior Faculty
7 years experience in teaching at leading IAS Coaching Institutes in Tamil Nadu. He has served in Top teams conducting Mock Interviews as a specialist in History and International Relations. He teaches Indian History, Art & Culture, World History and International Relations at Vetrii. He also specializes in Essay writing and Hobby part of Personality Test. Under his guidance more than 25 Students have cleared Civil Services Examination.